Are you ready for this? Let’s talk about what you get when you win Go Code Colorado. Because it’s not a set of floor wax products. And playing Plinko is not part of the deal.
If your amazing app and business concept is one of the three best in the competition, your team will get:
- $25,000. Seriously.
- An AT&T-sponsored trip to Palo Alto.
- Automatic interviews for the Boomtown class of Fall 2017.
What’s Boomtown? One of Colorado’s own startup accelerators. A three-month customized curriculum. Fundraising insights. Product validation. Access to a seriously engaged and experienced mentor community. A shot at entrepreneurial support like you’ve never seen before.
This opportunity typically takes months of conversations, exclusive invitations and fierce competition in an uber-competitive landscape. Take it from us, Boomtown is a big deal.
Sound pretty good? It all starts with Challenge Weekend, coming up next weekend. Here are the highlights:
Challenge Weekend is a focused time for your team to hone your idea, your code, and your pitch. Broadband access, innovation-inspiring spaces, and fuel (drinks and food) are free to all. Available at various points during the weekend are coding, legal, and startup mentors as well as experts on the public data sets available to the competition.
We’ll also have our tech partners from Carto, Digital Garage, and Name.com standing by to help you make the most of their tools.
And new this year, live and in person at each one of our five locations, we’re offering you John Maxwell-certified teamwork consultants. Because even if your idea is the next Facebook, if you can’t execute as a team, it really doesn’t matter.
Important: You have to be there during certain times. Just a few rules. Please follow them. Be sure to read all the rules and judging criteria. Here are the Challenge Weekend highlights:
…at least one team member must be present…Friday, April 7, 2017, from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM MDT; Saturday, April 8, 2017, from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM MDT; and Sunday, April 9, 2017, from 4:00 PM MDT until the event ends.
Friday we’ll set expectations and give you all the information you need to be successful You can find a team, or find talent for your team.
Saturday you’ll have hours of uninterrupted time to work with your team. But you can also get help from data experts, tech partners, and teamwork consultants.
Sunday is about practicing your pitch. Tap into your instincts. See it all come together. And nourish your brilliant mind with all kinds of snacks and refreshments and lots of deep breaths.
Sunday night is when you’ll pitch to local judges. Two teams from each location will move on as finalists. And remember: If you’re one of them, we’ll pay for up to five from your team to attend a Mentor Weekend in the Boulder offices of Google and CA Technologies. Here’s a teaser:
Mentor Weekend in Boulder (in and of itself, a reason to compete)
As one of 10 finalists, you’ll get a chance to hobnob with some of Colorado’s best and brightest tech entrepreneurs. Hone your presentation. Network like nobody’s business with brilliant mentors from Boomtown, House of Genius, Techstars and lots of other impressive organizations as well! You’ll find:
- Marketing Pros: Help teams determine market need, positioning, and the problems it solves for customers.
- Business Leaders: The customers. As a business owner or leader, help the teams get real about their apps actually solving problems YOU face.
- Startup Vets: Been-there-done-that launchers who can help teams keep an eye out for the pitfalls, stay focused and moving forward with a big-picture perspective.
- Scrum/Agile Coaches: Help teams with lean development.
- Data Scientists: Data lovers who know how to access, mash, crunch, and otherwise help teams turn machine-readable data into meaning.
- Pitching Experts: You’ll join the teams at the end of the weekend to provide feedback on their pitches.
- Senior Developers: Help the devs on teams with everything from architecture to debugging.
On Final Competition night (since you’ll clearly be a finalist). . .
. . .hit the Go Code Colorado runway by putting your mind, mojo and coding skills to work for lots of impressive people (i.e. judges).
More on the final competition in later posts.